Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Knoxie Cross #2


Star with her "game face" on...

Sunday was the second Knoxie cross series race. Star and I headed up there ready to race. The women's field is combined so we knew that we would be racing together and there would be a ton of women. we were both really excited about the competition.

We lined up with 12 other women, including some really fast girls that are "real" cross racers. My biggest competition was a girl named Deb from NC. She's strong and fast and a great competitor; I've also never beaten her when she's not having mechanical problems. The girl is FAST. I felt pretty good and I knew I could stay with her, it was just going to be a matter of getting around her BEFORE the finish. It was the toughest race I have done in a LONG time. We were shoulder to shoulder the entire race. It came down to a sprint. I WON!!!! By about 6 inches, maybe less. Whew. I earned that one. Deb and I both collapsed at the finish line. I almost puked. Amazing what we do for "enjoyment" isn't it??

Kym and Deb beating each other up....

Star ROCKED!!!! She has only done a couple of cross races and for the "recovering ultra endurance racer", this is about as far out of her element as it gets. not only did she line up with the "big dogs" today, she held her own and raced like a seasoned pro. Her form was AWESOME and other than one moment of "did I just miss a turn??" she never slowed down. GO STAR. She finished 6th overall and looked great doing it.

Star attacking the barriers....

One more weekend of cross racing for us and then we gear up for the road and mountain biking for the season. This "off season has been so much fun!!!


Thanks for reading....

No comments: