Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Vantaggio takes TWO 'Cross State Champion Jerseys!!!



This weekend was the TN State Cyclocross Championships; complete with bragging rights and state champion jerseys. I'll admit it, even though cross is NOT my focus, I wanted to win. Even more exciting was the fact that Star and Lisa were going to give cross a try so I had teammates coming with me.

I started off the weekend with a "warm-up" race in Knoxville on Saturday. It was a great course except for the stinkin' pea gravel. Deb, one of the fast girls from NC was there and I was riding with her... not only was I riding with her, I was passing her!!! Go Kym. And then we hit the gravel pit. I kept getting gravel in my cleats and I couldn't clip in. Uh oh. And there went my lead. I ended up second by 5 seconds. I was okay with it, I rode well and had great legs.... tomorrow should be fun.

Sunday, Star Lisa and I headed to Nashville to see what the State Championships had in store for us. I was finally going to get my wish...RAIN which equals MUD!!!! Star and Lisa are both new to racing cross so they would be racing in the category 4 women's race.

The course was TOUGH. It was muddy and tight. Definitely the most difficult and technical course we had seen all season. I was so excited. The cat 4 women went first and it was EXCITING!!! Lisa lead from start to finish with the girl in second charging hard. It came down to a sprint and I almost lost my voice cheering. LISA WON!!! Star took 5th and was definitely the smoothest girl in the 4's. She raced with grace... she will definitely be a good cross racer once we get a few more in her.

By the time my race rolled around the course was a disaster. I got a front row call up (with all the Category 3 men who had the same start as us) and I killed it at the gun. Whew. that hurt. I never looked back. just keep pedaling.... I WON!!!!

What a great day... you can't ask for more than sweeping the women's categories at the State Championships. Vantaggio/ Specialized is starting out 2008 in STYLE.

Thanks for reading....


No comments: