Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year's Eve Ride

Last weekend, as I was weighing my options for "adventures" for this week, I checked the Scenic City Velo forums. For Monday, a group of "slightly off" SCV guys posted a ride that went out through parts unknown in North Georgia and involved an "unimproved road surface" climb. Hey, this sounds like just the adventure I was looking for!!! I like dirt. I like climbing. I like new roads that I have never been on before. I'm in. Mark was thrilled to be roped into another "Kym adventure". (He hates it when I use that word... "adventure" really means "death march" or at least "bad idea that is going to be LONG and painful".)

Lisa also had the day free so her and I rolled up to very foggy start. Wow, there are a lot of people here. We were the only two women, there were 25 guys. This should be fun!!!


A foggy start...

The first part of the ride was through Lookout Valley, one of my favorite routes. We continued south and eventually found our dirt climb; Sulphur Spring Road. It was everything we expected and more. Steep (average of 10% with two short pitches at the top at 21%) and dirt... there was a decent line up the entire road but keeping traction when it got steep was an issue on road tires. What FUN!!! I was in my element as was Lisa. We both climbed the entire thing... more than a LOT of the men could say. I was even one of the first riders to the top; all while riding tempo.





Lisa kicking some butt climbing the mountain.

The ride back to the parking lot became a bit of a race, the male ego can only be contained for so long before it takes over even the most sensible of men. The closer we got, the harder the push became up each hill, until they were just attacking each other. My brain told me "Kym, you are doing base miles, sit up and let them be boys..." but my ego said "don't let those stupid boys drop you...". The ego won. it was a good time.

Lisa and I had a great time and we cannot wait to take the rest of the team on the route. It has become an instant favorite. Also, to Mark's credit, he didn't complain about the ride at all and rode really strong... he was one of those "stupid boys" we were chasing all afternoon.

No comments: