Thursday, February 5, 2009

Chatt-cross. Finally.


Kym in action.

Okay, so I promised a report AND pictures of the Chattanooga Cyclocross weekend that was two weeks ago. I know I'm delinquent again. The pictures are the part that always gets me. I take them but somehow it seems to take so long to get them from the camera to the computer. Anyway, back to the race.

Most of Helen... oops.

We started the weekend on Friday with a clinic/set-up/pre-ride day. I spent most of the day at the park and running errands. Mark played "course guru" all day and designed a kick butt course. I taught a beginner clinic in the afternoon and Helen, along with a handful of other ladies, came out and gave the course, and my clinic, a try. She lucked out for the weekend; a friend of ours works for Blue Bikes and had a loaner cross bike for her to borrow. Thanks Cleve!!

Star all smiles.
Saturday we woke up to rain. UGH. Luckily it stopped before we headed up there but it was going to be slick. I had a small field but there was no lack of talent. I was going to have to be on my "A" game if I wanted to win. We started 3 seconds behind the Master's Men so there was also the carrot of seeing how many of them I could pass. I had a great ride. One of my best all season. I took the lead in the first lap and I never looked back. I also caught all but the guy who won the men's race. Go Girl!!!!

Helen and lined up in a big Category 4 women's field and both ladies rode well. Star rode a hard fought battle for the front of the race while Helen held third for the first half of the race. Star eventually conceded the win to finish a respectable 2nd.
Sunday was just Helen and I and we fought hard. I won the women's race and Helen raced really well. She kept the bike upright the entire race (a big change from Saturday) and finished in third. It was a very exciting race and I was EXHASTED by the time it was over.
Thanks to Ken and Mark for a great event. Can't wait for next year.

No comments: