Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tanya is ROCKIN' in NC and SC

While the TN part of the team has been sticking close to home the past few weeks, Tanya has been showing off our team colors in North and South Carolina. Here is her report on the past couple of weeks....

By the way, she also took second at the AMBC Tiger Rag in Clemson two days ago.... I don't have the details yet.

IN TANYA'S WORDS....

April 12th Caraway Hill off road omnium part of the Maxxis Southern Classic Series

Short Track and Super D:

The short track was a 20 min. sufferfest as usual. A half mile course with lots of single track and climbing. I had single speed superstar Rebecca Tomaszewski on my tail the entire time. Managed to grab 1st and I was beat!Once again a horrible thunderstorm moved in right before the super D. What a technical course too. Rocks, roots , huge drop offs, you name it. This thing could have passed as a NORBA downhill course!!!I pretty much rode the whole thing in my preride but after the thunderstorm decided it wasn't worth killing myself riding it in the rain! After the lemans start and getting the hole shot I managed to still get a first even with running the tech sections.

Sunday April 13th Cross Country:

No rain and some great trails! For a race in the middle of NC this course was awesome. Had some super steep climbs and even a section with 6 steep switch backs. Stared out once again with Rebecca on my tail for the first whole lap. We'd managed a pretty good gap over the other girls, then she stared loosing air in her tire which she later said went completely flat. I got a bit too comfortable with my lead and ended up almost being reeled in by some of the other gals! Had to pick it up again in the last 4 miles and managed another first and first overall in the omnium!

Rock Hill Omnium

Friday Night April 4th- White Rose Sprints

I headed down to York SC in the middle of a horrible thunderstorm with tornado and hail warnings posted for the entire area. Stubborn as I am if I've paid/registered for a race I'm doing it no matter what.I couldn't believe we still had over 22 girls show up for sprints in the rain!By the time we took off for our first 500 m sprint it had stopped raining but the streets were still wet. I managed to easily win my heat of 8 racers and advance straight into the finals.By the time the finals rolled around so had another lightning storm. They postponed the race for about 30 min and by 9pm finally decided to just let it be. It was dark, pouring rain and lightning all around!I don't really remember much, I pretty much took off right from the start and gunned it to the end for another first place. I just wanted to be off the streets and into the safety of my car!

Sat April 5th Rock Hill Crit

The weather was still not cooperating and once again being my stubborn self and determined to complete the entire omnium I decided to race unlike most others who decided in was in there best interest not too. The course is one of the most technical on the local race calendar with 6 tight turns and medians you have to navigate. The course plus the rain made for a very nerve wracking day of racing. Crits are not my favorite to begin with. I'm just not comfortable out there even when its dry. I was determined to survive the entire race no matter what. Once again about 20 of us lined up in a complete downpour. After a few attacks we dropped about 5 gals and I wore myself down trying to reel in a 2 person breakaway pulling the whole group for a few laps till I was able to reel them in. The group was going to let them get away and I wasn't about to let that happen! This coupled with my lack of wet road handling skills and another attack on my part in the next to last lap left me in dead last place for the sprint. I got 11th in the field sprint.

Sunday April 6th-Brattonsville Road Race 45 miles

Finally no rain but we still had wet streets. Got to chase down a bunch of breakaways did a few myself and spent way too much time doing too much work. Funny another gal from the Ashville area mentioned on her blog how I was one of the few out of over 35 girls willing to do ANY work...I just use it as training for my mountain biking! oh well. I just get frustrated when no one will pull so I just go do it myself!! Once again ended up pulling the whole field to the finish and watching them sprint around me. Still managed a 9th place. The teams really worked together in this race, sending racers up the road and blocking etc.

Great Job Tanya!! We're so excited for you... can't wait until next weekend when we get to race with you.

No comments: