Tuesday, April 29, 2008

SERC #3 Winder, GA


Emily, Jamie and Kym on the starting line.

This weekend was the third round of the SERC series in Winder, GA at Fort Yargo State Park. It was definitely a rough weekend for me, although as a team the Vantaggio ladies did great.

Catherine, who is the teams only "true roadie" got herself a mountain bike this year. By this year I mean three weeks ago. She entered the beginner race and although she had some nerves at the start, she did AWESOME. She took third in a three way sprint for the finish; they started 14 girls. She probably would have fared better but went to the "start" line instead of the "finish" line in the heat of battle. I think we have converted her, she's scheduled to race 3 more SERC races this year.


Emily showing how it is done!

In the Pro/Expert women's race it was Jamie, Emily (who is 15 and went to prom the night before in Knoxville) and myself. I led from the gun and after about a half of a lap Jamie took over and never looked back. My fever and cough were a bit of an annoyance but I am chasing the series and can only miss two races. I already have those two scheduled for National Series races so I raced against my better judgement (It's those darn "bad idea jeans again...). I held on for second (barely) and Emily took 10th. Ah, youth. I tried to race a couple of years ago on two hours of sleep and about killed myself. She rode with a smile and had a blast!!!

As an after note: I have been feeling generally miserable and ill since our trip out west. I contracted some weird desert "funk" in California and have been training and racing for the last four weeks with an on again, off again fever and cough. Every time I think it is gone it comes back. Well after lining up AGAIN with a fever this weekend I decided that it was time to go see the Doc. I have a nicely developed sinus infection. He gave me lots of drugs and has told me that I can ride and race but that my "performance will be less than optimal". Really??!! I think I have adequately demonstrated that fact...

No comments: