Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cross Country in the Desert

I "officially" have some weird funk desert type disease. Okay, it is probably just a chest cold but the timing sucks. I was hoping that getting a ton of rest and taking it easy the past couple of days was going to make it go away (or at least that it was just some weird allergy to the cacti), but no such luck. I woke up today feeling worse. So bad that I was even considering not starting. Unfortunately, I put on my "bad idea jeans" and headed to the race course.

Today was HOT and we didn't start until 11:15am. When the sun comes up at 6am and there is nothing except very short, pointy, sharp vegetation, that makes for a HOT miserable race. Add to it the fact that I was running a fever and hacking up a lung and it was sure to be a long day. I convinced myself to start by saying that I could always quit. Beautiful theory but I don't quit races, EVER. I am too stupid or stubborn or something so once they said "go" I was in it for the long haul. The "dumb pants" (as Mark calls it...) were in full force today. I felt like keeling over in the first 2 minutes. My legs felt good, I just couldn't breathe. By lap two I was hallucinating and thinking the cacti were talking to me. I would almost have considered stopping but I was not in last. I was DEFINITELY not racing to my abilities (when well) but I was still holding my own.

I FINISHED!!! I was 36th out of a strong field of around 60 riders. Not at all what I hoped for but considering the circumstances I am thrilled with it. I was chilled and couldn't talk by the time I finished but I did it. Never let it be said that I can't suffer. It was not fun. At all. In fact, starting that race was the worst idea I had today. And yesterday. It was also the best thing I have done in a while. Now I know I can suffer way more than I usually do. AND... I beat people even while miserably sick. That makes me feel really good about where my fitness is. Once I get well it is GAME ON!!

Thanks for reading....

No comments: