Saturday, March 29, 2008

Cross Country


Kym at the start of NMBS #1 Fontana, CA



The first NMBS (National Mountain Bike Series) race of the year was today. I didn't have a good day but I also didn't have a bad day. There were a number of frustrations but there also some things to be happy about.




All that 'cross racing payed off during the start... what a mess!!

So first, my complaints: I did NOT feel great on the bike. I didn't have that "fire"... or snap or whatever you call it. I felt flat and like the whole race was a struggle. As Star and Lisa would say, I was not a "tiger". I'm not sure why; probably a combination of jet lag, travel, the remains of a cold from last week, getting up early and sitting in the feed zone for the boys, etc. I don't have any excuses (I hate excuses) the bottom line is I just didn't "have it" today.


Climbing the steep hill on one of four laps.


Now, that being said, my positive outlook: First, I finished 32nd, better than I have ever done here before. Also, I finished. That doesn't sound like a big deal until you examine the parameters of the race. Because it was a UCI race, they pull riders that don't stay within 80% of the leaders. On a short loop with Georgia Gould as the leader, that leaves very little room for error. Especially since they changed our race to four laps (where it should have been to begin with), making it a long day to stay close to some fast girls. They pulled a lot of our field. So, even not feeling well, I did alright. I was competitive, I just didn't get the result I was hoping for. And it is only the second race of the year for me. Many of these women have been racing for awhile.


...and the finish!!

A few other notes from today. Mark and Mike raced before I did today so we were out of the hotel at 6am this morning. I handed out bottles for them. Mike had a phenomenal start (he led up the first hill) and then succumbed to some mechanical problems and had to abandon. He's ready for redemption tomorrow in the short track. Mark had a good solid race, finishing 17th. Also, Charlie, a friend of our from NC took 14th in the pro men's race. It is always good to see the Southeast riders do well.


Kym all smiles during a pre-ride the day before the race.

Thanks to Mike for all the great pictures. He was out there all day and took about a million shots that made me look really fast.

Ps. I am still not over the Joshua Tree incident.

No comments: