Sunday, January 10, 2010

Chattanooga Cross and THE NEW BIKES ROCK!!!!!!

This weekend was a double whammy of a weekend for us. Not only were we racing on our hot new bikes, we were doing it at home in front of everyone we knew. AND to top it off, Vantaggio Fitness and Scenic City Velo our sponsor and our sponsoring club, were the promoters. No pressure, but we REALLY wanted to win.

Star and I are the cross racers of the team so we took the reigns on the racing front with the rest of the girls acting as volunteers and cheering section. Let me tell you, it was a kick butt race. (And I am not just saying that because Mark was the race director.) We had music, an announcer, and host housing with a pot luck dinner Saturday night. It was so much fun. Don't get me wrong, I am exhausted and ready to DROP, but it was such a great weekend.

Back to the race report.... Star started off the weekend right with a win for the team (she only took one wrong turn on the course.... yes, she helped design it but "tunnel vision" can hit hard in the heat of battle). She took control of the race up the starting hill and never looked back. Star has become the girl to beat. Great job, we are SO proud of you! She was even more convincing  with sunday's win, and it was minus the wrong turn too! That makes 6 wins in a row. Go Star.

Saturday I had no girls to race against. I started with the cat 3 men and it was fun. I got the hole shot off the start and made it look good for the crowd. I ended up 4th in the field and had a blast. I was reeling 2nd and 3rd in fast but they got me by about 10 seconds at the finish. Thanks for making me work boys....

Sunday we had a good strong field in the 1/2/3 Women's race. My biggest competition was my friend Andrea from Memphis. Andrea is a kick butt road racer and she kills me when we race crits. Historically I have beaten her fairly easily off road but Andrea has a new found love for all things dirt and has been riding her mountain and cross bikes a ton. I know how strong and talented she is and I NEVER underestimate my competition, especially someone as strong as her. I was going to have to be on my "A" game. It had been a very long tiring weekend (being married to the race director automatically give a person a TON of responsibilites and little sleep on race weekend), finding my legs was not as easy as I hoped. I got a good long warm-up in and I was as ready as I was going to be. They gave us a minute gap to the cat 3 men so we didn't have to worry about passing them early on, and we were off.  I started hard and took the hole shot. I figured my best bet was to get a gap early and hope that my body held up for 45 minutes. It worked. And I held up better than I thought I would. I built a decent lead early on and then slowly continued to build on it. I won by a large margin and had a blast. The new bike rocked. I forgot I was riding something other than a trusted old friend. That is the biggest compliment I cna give to a new ride. Thanks Trek!!!!

Thanks to everyone that came out to the race this weekend. It took a ton of work to make it happen and all the volunteers, sponsors, racers and specatators made it possible. And especially thanks to Mark. He made it one of the best races in the state of Tennessee!!!

On that note, it's long past bedtime for me. Thanks for reading...

No comments: