Monday, January 18, 2010

...and the boys chased the girl.

So yesterday was one of those miserable TN winter days. Not too cold (55 degrees) but foggy, wet and just plain gloomy. Not a day that screams "training ride". I had no motivation to ride my bike. Now racing cross on the other hand, sounded like a blast. This is PERFECT cross weather!!!! We (Mark and I) packed up the truck and headed to Columbia, TN to see what other crazies were looking for some wet, muddy fun.

The turnout for the race was small, as expected. Mark and our friend Steve lined up with about 10 other guys and were the first race of the day. Mark won!!! Great job. Steve took 6th, which was a great ride for our "roadie" friend on a wet muddy day. It was exciting to watch. I was fired up for my race after watching them.

Unfortunately, I was the only woman who showed up. I was scheduled to race at the same time as the Masters 35+ and 45+ men and the Category 3 men. Okay, I'll just race them. I lined up on the front line (which always makes the boys look at me funny) and got the hole shot. That was fun... let's see if I can beat these boys today. Two of them passed me on the flat power section but I stuck with them and did my thing on the long hill. This used-to-be-sprinter-turned-climber, climbed away from the front of the men's field. Hehe.... I pushed hard every lap on the hill, taking my lead to over a minute by the finish. I have raced with the men many times and feel that I am fairly competitive near the front of their field. I have NEVER ridden aways from them in a race so completely. It was an awesome feeling. I lapped two of the riders at the back of the field and ended up having the BEST day in crappy, miserable conditions.

I guess it just goes to show, sometimes it's not the weather but what you do with it that matters....

Thanks for reading.

No comments: