Monday, January 26, 2009

Busy week with friends and racing...

Okay, I have been slacking a bit in my updates but I have an excuse. We've had our friend Margaret in town from NY and we've been busy riding and racing. I love to entertain and I've been completely caught up with it. So, what have we been doing??? WINNING RACES!!!

Two weekends ago we went to Columbia TN for the two cross races that they were putting on. It was brutally cold on Saturday and we bundled Helen up in everything she owns to keep her warm while racing. It worked, she raced really well in her first ever cyclocross race (on her old mountain bike!!) and took third. To top it off she got the full "cross experience" by pushing herself so hard that I thought we were going to revisit lunch and one point. My warm-up for the race was riding next to the course and cheering for Helen. Apparently she was good luck. I rode extremely well and won my race, making a number of the boys work to stay away from "the girl". I'm not going to lie, I do like that...

Sunday Helen had school work to attend to but instead we got Star out there with us. It was another exciting race with the ladies all trading places the whole race. Star eventually ended up third after closing her eyes on the last lap and riding a bit off course. Hnmmmmm... I guess we need to work on that!!! Great race girl.

I again rode really well. They started us with the Masters Men and the Category 3 men and I rode myself into 4th overall in the race. I won the women's Category 1/2/3 race. I think I have found my sport. I LOVE cyclocross!!!

The weather last week was a bit challenging. We tease Margaret that whenever she comes to visit she seems to bring winter with her. It was cold, wet and we even got some snow. Well, a little snow has never stopped this Wisconsin girl before.... we rode anyway. All was going well until we got on top of the mountain, rode through the gravel section (did I mention that my road rides are sometimes a bit of an "adventure"??) and suddenly we came around a corner and the road was COVERED with snow. I started laughing hysterically.... I once again apparently was wearing my "bad idea jeans". This is becoming a trend for 2009. We walked through the snow and the rest of the ride was great. AND we had a good story to tell....

The rest of last week was spent training and getting the final course design for the Chattanooga Cyclocross event this past weekend. I'll post the report on that separately.

Thanks for reading...

No comments: