Sunday, November 30, 2008

UCI Cross in NC


Cornering hard...

So last weekend we went over to NC for a last ditch effort in collecting some UCI points for Nationals. Now regionally, I have been rocking the cross scene this year; at the UCI races, not quite so much.... I have been holding my own (actually at least as well as I ever do in the dirt or on the road), but there has not been any phenomenal, break-through type performances. Everyone is fast at a UCI weekend.
Attacking the steep hill.
It was COLD. Not cold like it gets up north, but cold for my "I've lived in the South for 12 years" blood. The course was not really my style, it was fast and open. It was a good cross course, it just didn't really play to my strengths. All of that added up to no real big expectations for me. I was just going to race my bike and have some fun.

Focused...
I surprised myself. Saturday's race quickly had me in the front group driving the race and attacking the group. In the end, I used too much energy and didn't get away but I still raced really hard and did something I have never done at a UCI event before, I helped control the race. WOW. I ended up 6th and got UCI points!!! SWEET. Sunday I was TIRED. I didn't get the right recovery food in me and did not get enough sleep, and along with Saturday's effort, I was spent. I struggled the entire race and ended up clawing my way back up to 8th after a dismal start. I also managed to pile myself onto the ground at the top of the steep hill in front of the crowd. I guess I got some good style points anyway.


Looking fast!!!
It was a really great weekend and I am still a little bit in awe over the way I rode. This off-season obsession of mine is really turning into a sport that I love and am good at. I am getting really excited for Nationals. Less that 2 weeks.....








Thanks for reading.

No comments: