Thursday, November 20, 2008

TN State Cyclocross Championships


Running the logs in Memphis.
This past weekend was the TN State Championships for cross in Memphis. Now, I know that I am just doing cross for off-season training and that I keep saying that it isn't my thing, but we all know better. I wanted to win. I won it last year and I really wanted that jersey again.
We made the trip to Memphis and were lucky enough to stay with some friends over there. Thanks again to Ryan and Andrea for the hospitality. You guys are great.
It was the first cold miserable weekend of the winter.... finally some real cross weather. I didn't really know what the women's cross scene was like on that side of the state but I was pretty sure that Andrea was my biggest worry. She's a REALLY talented road and crit racer. I've never raced cross against her but I was hoping the mountain biker in me was going to give me the edge.
We lined up in the "B" race, behind about a zillion men's fields, including Mark's. The promoter informed us that we'd have our own start, 30 seconds behind the beginner men. Hmmmm. Okay. This is going to get interesting. They said "go" and it took me about 1 minute before I was in the back of the men's field. I also was in the lead. Good. Go with it. My secondary goal was to catch Mark who was talking all kinds of trash the night before about how he was going to kick my butt. It took 3 laps. If you look closely at the above picture, Mark is the little red dot BEHIND me. Too bad, so sad... your wife is still kicking your butt!!!! (sorry couldn't resist....) I rode into 12th place overall in the "B" race, with a 30 second delayed start. I felt pretty good about that.
I rode well, it was a fun day. And I am still in LOVE with my cross bike. That Tricross is the best bike I own... it is SO FUN. If you've never tried cross, you are missing out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to kick some Mark-butt! You guys are welcome to stay with us any time you're passing through- maybe next time we'll make Mark eat some spicy Mexican food the night before so he can have an excuse for not holding you off.